Pull up bars for home come in different guises and shapes but serve the same function, offering a cheap but very effective solution to working out at home. Below some of the best pull up bars you can find for different budgets and uses.
The pull up is one of the main compound exercises offering incredible benefits in terms of strength and muscle development, so much so that it is used as a benchmark of bodyweight to strength ratio by the Marines.
Pull up bars allow you to target most upper body muscle groups like lats (latissimus dorsi), romboids, trapezius, biceps, forearms and even pecs.
Unlike other home workout equipment, they are inexpensive and in some instances can double up as push up devices: just flip them up on the floor and you have push up bars.
Pull Up Bars Come In 4 Main Categories:
- 1- Doorway Pull Up Bars - These bars work unassisted by brackets in that support is obtained by padded leverage extension on both the front and the back of the door frame. They are easy to install and remove.
- 2- Door Frame Pull Up Bars - These are the telescopic bars that work by twisting the telescopic ends out to the sides or require brackets in order to be placed in position inside the door frame. They are the cheapest to buy but also the least convenient to install and more limited in the hand grip choices.
- 3- Wall Mounted Pull Up Bars are the sturdiest of all. They can be hinged to a wall as a permanent fixture if you have a place to do so and offer various widths and grip options like the doorway pull up bars. However, they require strong walls to support the stress.
- 4- Pull Up Bar Stations - These are the most expensive of the range and typically come with dip or parallel bars inserted into the frame for a complete bodyweight workout station. Unlike the previous types, pull up bar stations are cumbersome and suitable more for garages or backyards, not homes or apartments.
Best Doorway Pull Up Bars
Profit Fitness Doorway Pull Up Chin Up Bar
- Fit for doorways from 24" to 41"
- Door thickness: 5.5" - 9.3
- Dimensions: 48" x 10.23" x 2.95"
- Super sturdy - up to 600 lbs.
- It suits large door frames.
- Well designed with plenty of grip choices for effective workouts.
The Profit Fitness Doorway Pull And Chin Up Bar is one of the sturdiest pull up bars around with a maximum capacity of 600 pounds!
It offers all kinds of grip types, from narrow to extra wide, from supinated to pronated to neutral hammer grips.
You can target all of your back muscles with great efficacy, as well as most other upper body muscle groups.
This bar is very wide and is a good match for oversize doors.
It can be installed and removed easily, but if you have a dedicated space for training, it can also be hinged with J brackets.
Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar
- Fit door frames 27 – 35 inches wide.
- Assembled dimensions: 15 x 38 x 14 inches.
- 300 pound weight capacity.
- Great value doorway pull up bar ideal ideal for beginners and advanced.
- Suitable for most door frames and sizes.
- Sturdy more than enough for the majority of people, it can also be flipped on the floor for pushing movements.
A strong and popular pull up bar, the Perfect Fitness Multi Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar is a good value item offering versatility and practicality at a convenient price.
Sturdy enough to hold up to 300 lbs, more than enough for most people, it can also double up as a push up device when flipped on the floor.
This pull up bar can also be easily disassembled into 4 pieces and carried around while traveling to be used at different locations.
As wide as a regular door frame, it enables you to workout effectively with all the standard hand grip positions in order to hit your back and arms from all angles.
This bar is a great introduction to pull up training and is a best seller among those who never had a pull up bar before but want to be on the safe side with a tried and tested item right from the start.
Yes4All Deluxe Chin Up Bar Doorway
- Fits Doorways from 28 inch TO 33 inch.
- Support up to 250 lbs.
- Single piece of solid steel to ensure max strength.
- Very affordable, entry level doorway pull up bar.
- Easy and fast assembly.
- It comes with included brackets to secure the bar to the wall above the door, if you need to.
The Yes4All Deluxe Chin Up Bar is one of the best sellers thanks to its very affordable price.
Strong enough to hold up to 250 lbs, this doorway pull up bar offers the functionality of more expensive bars.
You can do wide grip, narrow grip, pronated, supinated and neutral work with it and is ideal for most average size doors.
The assembly box includes a wrench and a handy mounting hardware in case your door does not have molding around it.
While this pull up bar stands up well for bodyweight pull ups without a problem, if you plan to use it for weighted pull ups in the future it may not have enough load capacity margin.
Advanced lifters who like to pull up with one, two or three plates attached to their waist are advised to opt for a higher load capacity pull up bar instead.
For beginners and intermediates, this is not an issue.
Best Door Frame Pull Up Bars
Garren Fitness Maximiza Pull Up Bar
Heavy-duty chrome steel doorway pull up bar.
- Non-slip extra-long foam grips.
- Adjusts to fit standard door ways between 26 and 39 inches.
- Heavy-duty door mounts: 300 lbs.
- Medium-duty door mounts: 150 lbs.
- Very easy installation: just twist the end units into the door frame sides and you are good to go.
- For extra load capacity, the manufacturer provides extra compression rubber ends to bring the total up to 200 lbs or even 300 lbs.
- Good quality, well spaced hand grips for safe workouts.
The Garren Fitness Maximiza Pull Up Bar is suitable from people with no room to spare for more cumbersome doorway pull up bars or complete stations.
It is as minimalist as it gets, yet well built to solid manufacturing standards.
Very intuitive to set up, it is safe enough to use even with just the twist and grip method, without brackets.
For more load capacity, you can either add the extra rubber ends or use one of the 2 sets of heavy-duty mounts, which can be screwed into the wooden door frame.
For the easy twist-the-bar method, the manufacturer recommends to carefully evaluate the stability of the bar with gradual pulling, before jumping in to full repetitions off the floor.
However, once properly set up, the Garren Fitness Maximiza pull up bar has been reported to be very sturdy indeed, giving you the confidence to do your pull ups without fear of accidents.
J/Fit Deluxe Doorway Pull-Up Bar
- Fits doorways up to 40 inch.
- Removable hand grips allow you to adjust the grips according to your size and needs.
- It comes with mounting dots to perform crunches and sit-ups plus mounting brackets.
- Rubber stoppers for metal doors. Holds up to 300 lbs.
- No-frills door frame pull up bar that offers a good compromise between prize, durability and quality.
- Easy to install with just the friction side rubbers.
- Adjustable grips to suit any body size or exercise variation.
The J/Fit Doorway Pull Up Bar is a very popular bar at a convenient price notable for its grip adjusting feature.
To do so, the grips are Velcro fastened to allow for quick changes.
However, the Velcro seams may get in the way of the grip but a good turn around of the problem is simply flipping the seams below the bar and away from your palms.
Other than that, this doorway pull up bar is very sturdy and fits to large doors too.
The rubber mountings hold up well but the most slick paint, so if you have slick paint on your door frame, you can still use the brackets provided.
The J/Fit Doorway Pull Up Bar is very durable, and customers have been reported using it for 30 years with no ill effects whatsoever, bar a replacement for the side rubber grips for the frame.
All in all, this is a cheap and good value doorway pull up bar that stands the test of time.
Sunny Health & Fitness Door Way Chin Up and Pull Up Bar
- 220 lbs load capacity.
- Adjustable length (24.5 to 36 inches).
- Includes weight bearing brackets.
- One of the cheapest options around.
- Despite lacking the refinements of more expensive bars, it still does the job.
- It fits most doors but the largest ones.
The Sunny Health & Fitness Door Way Pull Up Bar is a practical tool that doubles up as a sit-ups and crunches foot anchor.
Just slot it low into the frame and use it for additional ab exercises to complete your pull up workout.
It can be installed quickly with the bar twisting method, pushing the rubber sides outward, toward the door frame.
Or you can use the weight bearing brackets provided for extra safety. The hand grip padding is very durable and known to last for years.
One only issue is that the hand grips are place at shoulder witdth but are not adjustable.
This not a problem for standard pull ups, but for closed grip chin ups you end up grabbing the naked bar, so some extra padding or bar gloves are recommended if your grip tends to slip when using the center of the bar.
Best Wall Mounted Pull Up Bars
Bar2Fit Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar And Dip Bars
- Steel Pull Up and Dip Bar with 440 Lbs (200Kg) maximum load capacity.
- Multi-functional chin up bar with 8 grip positions.
- Pull up bar from wall: 20 inch (50cm)
- Grip width: 38,5 inch (98cm).
- Dip bars from wall: 27,6 inch (70cm).
- Distance between dip bars: 21,7 inch (55cm).
- This pull up and dip bars wall mounted unit offers a more complete workout range than ordinary pull up bars.
- Very sturdy build, ideal for dedicated workout enthusiasts who want a complete but not cumbersome bodyweight workout station.
- Ideal for garages, backyards and outdoors. It requires a sturdy wall to bear the work loads.
The Bar2Fit Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar is more than just a pull up bar. It is a complete set of bars, grips and padded rests that offers you the ability to do full body workouts.
This wall mounted kit comes with a multiple-grip pulling bar and parallel bars for dips.
You can do pull ups, chin ups, neutral grip chins, dips and leg raises for abs.
General build quality is high and the company offers excellent customer service, even inquiring about your satisfaction after purchase.
Because of its high load capacity (440 Lbs or 200Kg) it can be safely used for heavy duty training like weighted pull ups or dips for advanced trainees.
However, such a sturdy built also calls for an equally strong wall to support all the stress. Flimsy partition walls won't cut it.
The Bar2Fit wall mounted pull up and dips unit is a valid alternative to more cumbersome pull up stations.
It can be installed flush to the wall, saving a lot of space in your garage or in the house, but you need to be prepared to spend some time setting it up on the wall, unlike standalone pull up stations that are ready to be used immediately.
OneTwoFit Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 1100lbs(500kg)
- Pull up bar width: 37.5 inch (95cm).
- Distance wall to bar: 27.5 inch (70cm).
- Very sturdy, commercial grade manufacturing. It can be installed at home or in a gym.
- It can be used as a dip station with extra suspended rings.
- Allows for complete workouts, from pulling to pushing exercises.
The OneTwoFit wall mounted pull up bar is one of the strongest pull up bars around with an impressive 1100lbs(500kg) load capacity, enough for even the most dedicated lifters.
This wall mounted bar is solidly built in heavy duty steel good enough for commercial use too.
However, given the high loads possible, installation requires block walls or very sturdy walls. Drywalls are not an option.
The unit features several hand grips, wide, narrow and neutral for all the main pulling variations, as well as rest pads for your arms and eyelets for suspended training.
You can hang power ropes, suspended rings for dips or even a punching bag for a complete workout.
This unit comes with instructions for installation and mounting hardware.
Overall, the OneTwoFit wall mounted pull up bar is a super sturdy peice of equipment designed for the long run, be it in your home or in a gym.
Yes4All Wall Mounted Chin Up Bar
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 300lbs
- Designed for 16" and 24" stud space.
- Steel grips with padded foam.
- Several grip positions- including wide grips, neutral grips, and narrow grips
- Product Dimensions: 40.2 x 7.2 x 3.2 inches.
- Weight: 8.29 pounds.
- Affordable wall mounted pull up bar but strong enough for most trainees' usage.
- Easy to install, instructions and hardware included.
- Very comfortable, soft foam hand grips for wide pull ups, narrow chin ups and neutral work.
- Nice black finish.
The Yes4All Wall Mounted Chin Up Bar is a good value item that stands well to the demands of most users except the strongest or heaviest ones.
Those doing weighted pull ups with 2 or more plates attached may want to seek a sturdier option.
But for most users, this wall mounted pull up bar is strong and reliable enough for consistent workouts.
While not specifically designed for dips, users have been known to hang TRX suspension kits from it and do pushing movements without a problem.
This unit is a one-piece solid steel bar and even though it is black coated and claimed to be rust resistant, it looks more suitable for indoor use rather than outdoor.
One only complaint is that while the soft foam grips are comfortable and offer good grip, they may lose effectiveness with time and need to be screw taped around for more resistance to frequent workouts.
Overall, the Yes4All Wall Mounted Chin Up Bar offers everything you need from a wall mounted pull up bar at a budget price.
Best Pull Up Bar Stations
Fitness Reality X Class High Capacity Multi Function Power Tower
- Dimensions: 63.4" L x 49" W x 83" H.
- Weight: 150 lbs.
- 400 lb. weight capacity.
- Powder-coated steel tube frame.
- 26-inch distance between dip handles.
- Complete bodyweight workout station allows for different exercises, including but not limited to: pull ups, chin ups, hammer pull ups, Australian pull ups, push ups, incline push ups, dips, assisted dips, sit ups, knee or leg raises.
- Very sturdy construction for durability and heavy duty usage.
- Multiple grips for pulling movements.
- Many variations possible for pushing movements.
- Ideal for weighted bodyweight training.
The Fitness Reality X Class is not just a pull up station but a full bodyweight workout unit.
This is a high range pullup-dip station and build quality gets consistently high marks for its toughness and durability.
Even though it is sold for private use, it would not be out of place in a commercial gym.
The frame, foam rollers, back pad and grips allow for adjustments to suit different body sizes and the stability rails at the bottom can be fastened to the floor, if needed.
However, this station is already very stable as it is, free standing without bolting to the floor.
The clever ergonomics and spacing of the components allow for a wide range of pulling and pushing exercises, plus the high load capacity makes weighted workouts a breeze.
Also, the size of the station makes it suitable even for tall guys.
The Fitness Reality X Class comes carefully packaged and it takes anything from 1 hour to few hours to assemble it, depending on dexterity.
To sum up, the Fitness Reality X Class station is a product made to last.
Nexttechnology Power Tower Heavy Duty Pull Up Dip Station
- Suitable for your light commercial or home fitness setting.
- Multi-grip pull up station.
- Parallel bars and arm pads for dips and leg raises.
- Moderately priced, heavy duty steel frame pull up and dip station, ideal for those who need a full body workout tool without going bankrupt.
- Most pulling and pushing exercise variety are possible: pull ups, chin ups, dips, push ups, leg raises
The NextTechnology Power Tower Heavy Duty Pull Up Dip Station is a budget friendly heavy duty tool.
It has all the basic grips, bars and pads needed for the majority of bodyweight workouts at a convenient price.
This tool can take you all the way from beginner to advanced stage and is strong enough for weighted pull ups and dips too.
It is more cumbersome than basic door pull up bars, but not too much, by power station standards.
So, depending on your space available, you may even place it in the house, not just in the garage.
It is better to use this station with smooth, controlled movements and no kipping or swinging, as it is relatively light weight and may shift around a bit, as you cannot bolt it to the floor by default.
If you are interested in an inexpensive but strong full body workout station, this pull up and dip station may be a good fit.
Stamina Power Tower
- Dimensions: 49 x 42.5 x 81 inches.
- Weight: 54 lbs.
- Maximum load: 250 lbs.
- Very popular budget power tower for pull ups, dips, push ups and ab sit ups.
- Strong enough for most regular users but light weight frame construction.
- Very easy to install.
- Comes with 5-year frame and 90 day parts warranty.
The Stamina Power Tower must be one of the most budget friendly pull up and dip stations around.
Slightly taller than a regular door frame but still low and compact enough, it is one of the most apartment-friendly stations.
It is a very light weight construction unit and very easy to set up, but still offers a frame strong enough for serious workouts.
However, it still is a free station without floor brackets to be screwed to a floor, if needed.
This means that you need to perform the pull ups with good form and no swinging and kipping, or the station can move around a bit.
Foam or rubber pads under the feet may help reduce or eliminate the problem.
The push-up bars work great for handstand push-ups too because they are at the right distance from the floor while you can walk your feet up the wall behind for stability.
Overall, a very capable entry level pull up and dip station.
How To Choose A Pull Up Bar
When it comes to choosing a pull up bar or any kind of equipment, or anything at all, it always boils down to personal needs and finances.
Whenever we look into purchasing something we always look at the best value we can find, a compromise between quality, performance and cost.
For pull up bars specifically, you may want to follow this easy check list to help you navigate through the jungle of products and options available:
Pull Up Bar Selection Check List
- Indoor or outdoor? – The first consideration would be whether you need to use the pull up bar specifically indoor or in a garage or yard. If you plan to use a piece of equipment in the back yard, quality of materials and rust resistance are paramount. Otherwise you may get away with cheaper materials for indoor use only.
- Door size – With so many pull up bar sizes available, you are better off making sure the bar of your interest is a good match to your door size. Most pull up bars are flexible and can adjust to a limit but if you have an over size door make sure the pull up bar can fit its width.
- Are you on rental or a property owner? – This is a important, as some door-frame or doorway pull up bars may scuff the painting or cause more serious damage if the bar was not properly installed. Wall mounted pull up bars always need drilling by default and if you plan to use brackets and screws through the door frame for heavy duty workouts, make sure to ask your landlord first.
- Space – Only you know how much space you have in the house, garage or backyard. Check out size and specs carefully before making a decision. For small spaces, doorway and door-frame pull up bars are king. For garages and back yards you also have the options of wall mounted bars or workout stations.
- Budget – Once you know what kind of pull up bar or station you need, you can narrow it down to your own pockets. There are plenty of choices even within a narrow price range, as the market is flooded with pull up bars, hence choose the one offering the best value, that is decent quality for the price, perhaps spending a tiny bit more if that offers more reliability in the long run.
- Manufacturer reputation and customer service – Not all companies are the same. Some offer dedicated attention to their customers, others somewhat less. Some offer good warranty arrangements, others not so much. Read through the lines and see what other customers have to say about their choices.