First Off – Who Is The Author?
Liz Swann Miller is an expert naturopath specialized in nutritional healing, with degrees in both naturopathy and psychology. Having being over weight herself, she carved a career in detoxing and dieting out a desire to share her experience and knowledge to help people. While most of her literature is available on Amazon, she decided to share her new “Red Smoothie Detox” knowledge through her own website only.
The Red Smoothie Detox Factor is simply her latest creation, the one that allegedly allowed her to shed a whopping 80 pounds in total as a result of a chance trip to Machu Picchu, the ancient Inca capital, where she unintentionally shed 20 pounds right off the bat by simply eating what was locally on offer. Amazed at the results, she then decided to carry on the same diet, shed even more weight and then make a viable book for the public. So the story goes.
What Is Elizabeth Swann Miller’s “Red Smoothie Detox Factor”?
This is Liz Swann Miller’s latest smoothie recipe book. The quirky name comes from the prevalent color appearance of this range of smoothies caused by its peculiar ingredients.
These ingredients have the distinction of being rich in antioxidant, good omega 3 fats, anthocyanins and vitamins and have been hand picked by the author to concoct a formula for boosting metabolism, burning fat, naturally reducing appetite to healthy levels and breaking the unhealthy insulin spikes and fat storing, the consequence of eating processed foods.
Like many other diet, detox and weight loss products, this one also points the finger against the greedy big corporations out there who purposefully hide the truth for their own gain. The usual conspiracy theory.
In this case they would push the “exercises more to lose weight” mantra on the assumption that all calories are the same, hence you just need to workout to burn them off.
However, regardless of conspiracy, we think that the author has a point in stating that actually all calories are NOT the same and that this is a good starting point for what is to follow.
These smoothie recipes are designed to break dependency on sugars and carbs for energy, stressing the importance of good, healthy fats such as omega-3 fats, as opposed to bad fats, like omega-6. This is a plus point.
Fats do not make you fat, sugars do, as they are easily stored into fat, leading to yo-yo insulin spikes that can be quashed only with more sugar, making you hungry all the time, storing more fat with the risk of developing diabetes down the line.
This is an important point we agree on that sets the standard from the start. The book is as much about losing weight as it is about your body functioning in a healthy way by restructuring the nutrients you eat, this time in a smoothie format.
There are many different recipes in the program designed around these ideas but there are 4 ingredients in particular that the author has deemed particularly effective. These are the ingredients she casually stumbled upon in her trip to Machu Picchu that immediately showed their potential and caught her attention.
These are all foods that are not rare or expensive to find and are mostly reasonably priced, no need to go to South America to get them. They are:
- Chia seeds: Chia is a plant native to South America. The name means “oily” and in fact it has a creamy taste. The seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids and proteins and have long being a staple food in the Andes since the Inca times. Chia seeds are a “complete food”, meaning they contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids for energy, proteins for your muscles and calcium for your bones. You could healthily survive just on Chia seeds. It makes smoothies taste creamy too.
- Maca: A plant native to the Andes. It is used as an alternative to caffeine but without the spikes and crashes and it is known for improving your ability to withstand stress. It also releases energy and has a rich and mild, nutty flavor.
- Cocoa: No surprise here. Cocoa is rich in polyphenols that acts similarly to red wine antioxidants, helping protect your heart from disease. Dark chocolate is also an allowed treat of the program.
- Vanilla: This very popular flavoring is sweet enough to satisfy your buds without affecting your insulin levels.
What Does This Smoothie Recipe Book Teach?
This smoothie recipe book is based on basic, healthy eating principles. One very important point is that calorie counting makes people fatter with low energy levels because not all calories are created equal.
This means that even if you restrict your calorie intake, if those fewer calories are not ideal, not only will you not lose fat but you will gain it. In other words, if you eat less calories but those calories are carbs or sugar based, you are still more likely to store more fat than somebody else who eats more calories overall, but those calories come from healthy fats and proteins, not sugar.
The bottom line is that the quicker is the food to be digested (like sugars and carbs), the easier it is to be stored as fat, the shorter the energy levels and the greater the hunger.
Conversely, the slower is the food to be digested (like healthy fats and proteins), the longer lasting are the energy levels, the more difficult are to be stored as fat and the lesser the hunger. No room for arguing here.
Author Liz also points out some bad ingredients found in so called “healthy” supplements like hydrolyzed collagen, soy protein isolate or cellulose that really do nothing but slowing metabolism.
Metabolism is the key to fat loss, rather than starvation and calorie restriction. The program points this issue out, diverting attention from the mere “calorie numbers” to the actual metabolism and the way to boost it, with the right nutrients rather than with drastic starvation.
Because detox or diet smoothies are normally perceived as being healthy by default, many people are led to believe that all fruits and veggies must be good anyway. However, this is not case and Liz is eager to explain why and which ones are the bad fruit and vegetables and which ones are the good ones, just like there are bad and good food categories.
On the other hands we were surprised at the news that artificial sweeteners are just as bad as regular sugar. Not that they have many calories, but the problem is about how the brain perceives them and makes you react.
Because they taste sweet, your brain apparently thinks you need sugar energy, so it makes you hungrier and wanting more food. It is like the simple sweet taste creates a short circuit, replicating the normal response you would have if you had eaten real sugar.
Something to think about next time you get a “low calorie” soda packed with aspartame. Drink water instead, or a glass of red wine rich in antioxidants.
Red Smoothie Detox is basically a smoothie recipe guide centered on restoring metabolism and put your body in a position to do so the healthy way. It does so by teaching you how to get rid of toxins so it can burn all the excess fat by providing you with the correct ingredients and recipes to boost metabolism, burn fat and enjoy constant, high energy levels coupled with sound sleep.
Another good point is that the program stresses the importance of healthy fats. They do not only make you lose fat (unlike sugar), they also keep muscle cells healthy.
Since muscles are the most important calorie burning organ of you body, it should be in your best interest to make sure not to deplete your muscle mass by eating correctly and making sure muscle cells receive healthy omega-3 fats (as found in fish, but not only) for protection too.
The smoothies of the program are designed to always include healthy fats to readdress the problem or where to get energy from, that is not from sugar. Sugars and artificial sweeteners are main staples in today’s processed foods, with the net result of causing people to fall into self fueling circle of insulin spikes and artificially increased hunger which leads to storing even more fat fat and in the long run even to diabetes and worse.The way we eat today is really upside down and a long way from what our bodies have evolved from and are adjusted to.
The author claims her customers commonly lose 10 to 15 pounds in two weeks and that over 100.000 women and 95.000 men have already enjoyed success with her help in her 15 year career.
How Is The Book Structured?
The Red Smoothie Detox Factor is structured into 3 different parts: before, during and after.
- Before – Unlike other smoothie guides, the author does not jump straight into the recipes, as she thinks that priming your body for what’s to come is very important. It includes information on what to eat, what not to eat and how to find the ingredients.
- During – This is the core of the program with many, many different smoothie recipes and snacks.
- After – Just as important as the before part, this part consists of a 21 day plan to help you maintain the good results achieved. Other programs leave you for dead where you finished, with the risk of rebounds.
How Does Red Smoothie Detox Compare To Competing Detox and Diet Smoothie Products?
Red Smoothie Detox Factor is different in that is designed to avoid hunger. Traditional smoothie recipes are very low on calories without any of the all important healthy fats, chia, maca, cocoa and vanilla nutrients described above.
Under starvation your body reacts by taking the energies he needs to survive on from muscle tissue rather than fat tissue, so it is imperative to avoid this. Your muscle mass alone keeps your metabolic rate higher. If you lose it, your metabolic rate will go lower and burn even less fat.
Normally, with a lower calorie, balanced diet and an active metabolism your body takes the extra calories it needs from your fat storage. However, if your calorie intake becomes excessively restricted without the vital ingredients of healthy fats, proteins and vitamins, your body goes into shock and starts eating up your muscles instead of your fat, “thinking” it is in an emergency situation, sacrificing your muscles for your precious fat storage for long term survival.
Slow and steady is the way to go, with the right nutrients to keep your metabolism active and burning fat. Instead, the fast and spiky way slows metabolism down, causing muscle loss and weight rebounds when you stop starving.
Unlike other smoothie recipe guides, Red Smoothie Detox Factor is designed for sustained fat loss without muscle loss. It also uses fruits and vegetables that Liz Swann Miller found to be effective, as other fruits and vegs are not so effective, coupled with a high fiber content to make you feel full, plus the 4 key Inca ingredients described above. The top fruits and vegetables used for the smoothies are
- Red fruits like anti-oxidant raspberries – they contain anthocyanins that fight inflammation, reduce joint pain and improve your hair and skin health.
- Dark leafy green – green smoothies are rich in vitamin K, important for bones, and contains some of the amino acids used in the muscle building process. The idea is to get these amino acids directly from leafy greens instead of breaking them down from proteins.
Red fruits, dark leafy greens and the 4 Inca nutrients combined together make these smoothies a sustainable fat loss recipe guide.
Program Pros and Cons
- Knowledgeable author – Liz Swann Miller is an authority in the smoothie detox and diet department.
- Easy layout and format – All the information is easy to follow and implement. The author takes you by hand through every step.
- Helps you restore your metabolism and insulin levels to healthy standards.
- It is designed for long term results.
- Improves the way you look. This is secondary to improving your health, but it comes hand in hand as a bypass product.
- Reasonably priced
- 60 day money back guarantee
- Though easy to follow, it still requires some discipline.
- Only available in digital format. This may be a problem for those who prefer physical hard copies or are not familiar with downloads.
Red Smoothie Detox Factor Components – What Do I Get?
This smoothie recipe blueprint consists of 4 parts, the main manual plus 3 bonuses. All manuals come in digital PDF format and are instantly available. However there is not physical format available for delivery quite yet. Also, you can access this program only in the author’s official website and nowhere else, not even Amazon.
Here is a breakdown:
- Red Smoothie Detox Factor – the main course of the program
- Bonus 1 – The Whole Body Health Shopping Guide
- Bonus 2 – The Ultimate Super Food Quick Home Recipe Book
- Bonus 3 – 100 Great Tasting Green Smoothie Fat Loss Recipes
The Bottom Line
Red Smoothie Detox Factor is a well designed and balanced smoothie recipe guide designed for long term results. The ideas outlined in the manual and the ingredients chosen for the smoothies make the process of fat loss a healthy one, preserving the all important muscle mass, stabilizing insulin levels, improving energy and sleep.
This healthy long term approach coupled with the author credentials make the Red Smoothie Detox an interesting guide in the jungle of smoothie books. It’s worth remembering though, that while this program is all natural and genuine, it still requires some discipline to implement and most importantly, if you have health related problems you should consult your doctor because the program is not a cure for ailments.