If you have been searching on Google for information on the F4X or Old School New Body program, you might as well stop by because here you will find out how this program works, who it is suitable for, what the benefits, pros and cons are and how much it could take of your free time. Here is a quick summary.
Who Are Steve And Becky Holman?
Steve has been editor in chief at Iron Man magazine for many years. He’s seen it all in the fitness, fat loss and muscle building arena and, having reached a mature age (he’s now over 50), has decided to device a program for seniors that works just as well for young people based on good old school principle now largely forgotten in mainstream literature.
Noticing that the best looking and fittest people in gyms always seem to finish the workout first while the ones working out the longest never seem to noticeably change their bodies, he came to the conclusion that short but very hard (and time saving) routines are way more effective than endless cardio to lose fat or marathon weight resistance to build muscle.
Steve and Becky further took inspiration and confirmation to their observations by looking up to the fitness ethics and principles of bodybuilding legend and guru Vince Gironda, a celebrity personal trainer of the old school with and impressive lean and muscular physique who routinely brought to fitness his famous customers in record times for their movie roles, making them lose fat and gain muscle with very basic yet effective routines.
What Is The F4X Training System?
These very principles were then taken by Steve and Becky and rearranged in a newer format called Old School New Body, which is based on the F4X layout. F4X stands for “Focus On 4 Exercises“. These exercises are the training foundation of this program which, aside from the nutritional guidelines, are supposed to kick start a rejuvenation process that according to the author will make any over 40/50/60 or more years old look at least 10 years younger and a hell of a lot fitter.
However, young people as well can benefit from his program, rather than wasting their time in marathon gym sessions, simply because their bodies are even more responsive. Steve and Becky certainly display a level of fitness, low body fat and lean muscle that the majority of young people half their age can only dream about, let alone middle age or senior people.
Old School New Body is a simple and time saving program based on old school workout ideas that promote muscle growth, maintenance or fat loss with just a few tweaks depending on your needs. While marketed for people over 35 who do not want to live in a gym, it is just as effective for younger people. The program is based on the F4X layout which is reviewed below.
The program weight resistance routines that can be performed either at a gym or even at home with basic equipment. Steve and Becky prefer the functionality and easy resistance progression that barbells and dumbbells can offer, but their routines can be done at home as well.
Who Is The F4X System Suitable For?
The F4X training system, aka Old School New Body, is a no frills, simple and effective fitness program that has already helped scores of people get back into shape, lose fat, gain muscle and look younger.
It is marketed for people over 35 up to ripe old age, people over 60, 70 or more who are surprisingly responsive to training too. However, the author stresses that it is just as effective for younger people, as the principles outlined do work for everyone.
How Does It Work?
The F4X method is based on 4 basic exercises, however these are not the only important part of the formula, but also HOW they are performed depending on the fitness stage you are in whether you want to lose fat, shape muscle or build muscle. In fact, the program involves 3 different progressive stages depending on you goals, each one being the foundation for the next one.
These stages are called:
F4X Lean: this is the entry point level which , as the name implies, is set up to lose any extra fat deposit. The author stresses that under no circumstances you should over step into stage shape or build before you reached your targeted level of leanness, or low body fat %.
We could not agree more on this point as there are too many programs that give you the impression that it is possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. This may be possible for a small amount of fat, but if you carry 15, 20 or more pounds to lose there is no way that you can burn all that fat AND build muscle at the same time.
One step at a time is the way to go. If you are happy with the results and already have a good muscle foundation you may as well stop at this stage and just do maintenance. This is what most people do with this program, but a sizable minority also goes into the next 2 stages.
F4X Shape: this phase is meant to “shape”, aka build a little more muscle over your existing mass to give more balance and a better body functionality and look if you need it. This is the phase that Becky stopped at after having completed phase 1 Lean. She wanted to look like an athletic swimmer, not too skinny nor too muscular and she achieved just that.
What Steve and Becky are eager to stress is that you can step up into the next phase or stop and do maintenance as you wish, in other words there is no risk for women (or men) to suddenly get too bulky or wake up the next day looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
This is an unfounded fear that most women and some men have. It takes a good deal of time and effort to become big like a pro bodybuilder, so you can stop any time in the building process when you are happy with your size, no need to worry.
F4X Build: this phase is similar to the Shape Phase but with an emphasis to building solid muscle mass, like 10, 15 or more pounds. This is the phase Steve actually worked himself to, as he likes a muscular, fitness trainer look without looking like a monster professional.
He correctly points out that to become that over sized you do not just need to work out hard but also take illegal steroids and eat like there is no tomorrow. This is not what this program is designed for, as it is totally natural and suitable for men and women, older and younger.
What Are The Benefits Of F4X?
The striking point is that the 4 exercises used for all the stages are basically the same but performed in a different way so as to achieve the required results.
This means the program can be used for building moderate lean muscle, maintenance or gaining even more muscle depending on your need.
This is a very simple and time saving program to follow, but the effort required in those short sessions is considerable. This is not surprising as there is no free lunch in anything in life, but the return on time investment beats hands down any long gym workout or endless cardio.
Ok, this is for the general resistance training layout, what about nutrition and general guidelines frame? Basically, Steve sums it up in 5 general principles, debunking common myths held dear in the fitness industry . These are:
- Low fat foods myth: you actually must eat fat as well as any other nutrients contrary to popular low fat food diet mantras. According to the program, fats and cholesterol help regenerate hormones, in particular the all important testosterone responsible for enhanced metabolism, fat burning and muscle building. On the contrary, sugars should be avoided like the plague as they are very easily turned into stored fat, unhealthily upsetting insulin levels.
- Endless cardio myth: according to the author, treadmills, spins, running or any endurance training only exacerbates the aging process because this kind of long, sustained aerobic activity increases the production of free radicals, which in turn feed on nutrients and tissues. Instead, he recommends very short but very intense resistance training workouts.
- Being old myth: a healthy lifestyle, correct training and nutrition are everything. There is no such a thing as having a beer belly or being fat and saggy just because of chronological age. An older person training and eating properly will be biologically younger, fitter and stronger than a young couch potato person doing nothing or worse, drinking, smoking, etc. No room for arguing here.
- Drinking plenty of water: water helps lose fat by aiding the liver and the kidney diuresis. Steve recommends at least 12 ounces per day. Too little water places a stress on the liver and its ability to burn fat.
- Training less but harder. This is what the F4X program is mostly about. 4 specific exercises implemented is short sessions the old school way. This approach is not just more effective but also time saving, allowing for a better balance in life, more social life and more freedom.
Recap Of The Benefits
The main benefits of this program are:
- Its simplicity coupled with effectiveness, no need for complicated workout schedules or meals plans.
- It is time saving: no need to spend many hours a week in a gym. A total of 1 hour and an half will do.
- The 4 basic exercises work for losing fat, adding a little muscle or increase muscle mass considerably just by tweaking their execution.
- It works for everyone, not just mature people, but also young ones, men and women.
- It can be implemented both at the gym or at home.
- It can save a lot of time and frustration in attempting to find out how to train and eat properly for best results without a guarantee to actually find the solution.
- It is written by knowledgeable 50+ year old authors (Steve and Becky Holman) with decades (not just years) of real life experience in the fitness industry and training, with real life results to show for and a physique to make young people green with envy.
F4X Workout PDF Layout And Bonuses
The Old School New Body F4X Training System comes in an easy to download PDF format manual and is instantly available. No need for deliveries. The PDF requires reading software like Adobe which you can easily download online if you do not have it yet.
The program also comes with few handy bonuses and it’s structured as follows:
- The main PDF F4X PDF manual with all the content described above, covering all aspects of training and nutrition.
- The Quick Start Workout Guide Free Bonus Guide is a scaled down version of the main PDF to quickly get you started, if you do not want to read the whole manual first. You can do that at a later time while starting right off the bat to get results a quickly as possible.
- Ultimate Fat Burning Secrets Free Bonus Guide, covering issues like fat burning foods and how to use heat for losing fat.
- Ultimate Muscle Building Secrets Free Bonus Guide with information on minerals, fruits, nutrients and foods that can increase testosterone naturally and build muscle.
- Ultimate Sex And Anti Aging Secrets Free Bonus Guide on wrinkle reduction nutrients, aphrodisiac desserts, hair growing herbs, 6 keys to add year to your life and much more.
- Ultimate Health And Happiness Free Bonus Guide on how to release feel good hormone oxytocin, foods to relieve depression and more.
Also included is a free motivational audio made up of interviews by John Rowley to top fitness industry experts such as:
- Tom Venuto, a natural bodybuilder & author of The Body Fat Solution.
- Kristi Frank, health and beauty guru and has appeared on every major network TV.
- Bill Phillips, author of #1 New York Times Best Seller, Body-for-LIFE.
- Jennifer Nicole Lee, super fitness model turned mega mogul.
- Shawn Phillips, veteran fitness expert and author.
Pros And Cons
- Easy to follow program – The F4X guidelines are based on timeless, simple workouts and exercises that are as effective today as they were decades ago.
- Time saving – The workouts are more effective and time efficient. No need to live in a gym, you can arrange your social life while reshaping your physique.
- Suitable for all, men, women, older and younger – The program main concern is to get the job done in a fraction of time without slipping into over training and time wasting marathon gym sessions, thus it is very much suitable not just for older people but just about anyone.
- Reasonably priced – You get good solid information and a well laid out, easy to follow blueprint for what you pay.
- Digital format – The program comes in PDF format and is instantly available upon purchase.
- 60 Day Money back guarantee – For peace of mind, the F4X comes with a refund policy, just in case, so you have all the time to test it.
- The Nutritional aspect is not as well represented as the workout strategy, there could be more meat in it.
The Bottom Line:
The Old School New Body (F4X Training System) is a fitness program designed for 35+ year old that also happens to be just as effective for younger people.
It is based on old school but very effective ideas of training revolving on very short but hard and challenging workouts structured around just 4 basic exercises to be performed in different fashion depending on your goal: lose fat, add some lean muscle or build muscle considerably.
Each goal is separate from the others and can be achieved in a pyramid structure, from fat loss to shaping to building mass. All in all, it is a simple yet effective and time saving program for the older, the younger, men and women.